FI Heroes Bucket (Adventure) List
I write this week’s article as I’m sitting on a plane 20,000 feet up on the way to, what is likely, the last IT conference I will be attending for my current job. I will say it’s certainly bittersweet. I’ve been fortunate to have had many opportunities to travel to cool places, meet some amazing characters and learn from some of the best in the industry. However, everything comes at a price. Rather than focus on the things, like work conferences, that I will miss out on post FI/RE, I shift my focus to all of the things I will gain, the amazing experiences I will have and the adventures that await.
With our FI/RE date just around the corner I think now is a great time to document all of the places FI Guy and I want to go, the things we want to see, the stuff we want to do and of course the challenges we want to get after.
So enter, the bucket list.
By definition, a bucket list is a list of all the things you want to see, do or experience before you “kick the proverbial bucket”. While FI Guy and I have talked and fantasized about all of the things we want to experience while we’re still walking this earth, we never had an official “bucket list”… that is, until now. Of course we have taken some creative authority over this one and renamed it our “Adventure List” as we don’t want to focus on what we’re going to do before we die. Rather we want to focus on what we’re going to experience while we are living.
So we have the start of what we consider to be a pretty good list of adventures. The first go round resulted in 62 items! Of course both of us want to see, do and experience so many things in this life time that I’m not sure this list will ever really be complete. We see this as a living document to help us keep tabs on all of the things we want to experience as well as all of the things we have experienced.
So here’s what we have come up with so far. We decided to break up the list in to categories, namely:
- Challenges: We like to set goals and attempt fun challenges.
- Places to go: We kept this one high level as we want to see it all.
- Things to see: Specific things or people we want to see on our journey.
- Stuff to do: Activities! Adventure! Oh My!
Note: There are a few things on this list that one or both of us have already experienced, which we have noted, but that doesn’t mean we can’t go after them a second time.
- Retire Early (of course)
- Get in shape and stay in shape
- Participate in a multi-day meditation retreat (FI Guy is rolling his eyes)
- Participate in an obstacle course race (One we likely have no right doing)
- Perform the Disney experiment: How many days can we spend at the parks before we decide it’s time to move on to another bucket list item?
- Perform the surfing experiment: how many days in a row before surfing gets old? Or we get too sore to go back for more? (Neither one of us surfs so this should be interesting)
- Ride the fastest, tallest and longest roller coasters in the world.
- See how long we can go without seeing snow
- See how many days out of the year we can live on a ship (a cruise ship preferably)
- Learn another language
Places to go:
- Circumnavigate the globe and document it (Proof the world is not flat)
- Explore Iceland
- FI Guy and I stopped in Iceland for about 8 hours while on a TransAtlantic cruise a few years ago. We were short on time and the weather was pretty rough so we didn’t get to explore as much of Iceland as we would have liked.
- Go back to Australia where we met
- We met over 16 years ago while studying abroad in Australia and haven’t looked back since. We had an amazing opportunity to not only study in the country but to throw on a back pack and travel the country for a month following our last semester. We saw so many amazing things but still did not see it all. Australia has a special place in our hearts and we would love to get back there some day to continue our journey.
- Live in another Country for 3+ months
- Sail the 7 seas
- See all of the manmade wonders of the world
- See all of the natural wonders of the world
- Set foot on all 7 continents
- Take a train across a continent
- Travel to every state in the US
- Visit sacred sites
- Visit the Galapagos (and hopefully see some seals)
- Visit National Parks (such as the Plitvice Lakes, Zion, etc.)
Things to see:
- See an active volcano
- See some penguins in the wild / natural habitat
- See some sea turtles in the wild / natural habitat
- See the floating lanterns in Thailand
- See the London Eye (and maybe ride it)
- See the Northern Lights
- I saw the northern lights when I around 12 years old while in Alaska. FI Guys still hasn’t seen them, despite going on 3 Transatlantic adventures.
Stuff to do:
- Attend the Olympics
- Be blessed by a monk
- Bungee Jump
- Both FI Guy and I took the plunge while in Cairns Australia. FI Guy really wants to do this again but I think I’m good checking it off the list once.
- Climb a real mountain (and not die)
- Fly in a hot air balloon
- Go “Flyboarding”
- Go Ghost Hunting
- Go horseback riding
- Go on a blimp
- Go on an African Safari
- Go Parasailing
- Go white water rafting
- Hang glide
- Hug a Koala in Australia
- I hugged a Koala while in Cairns Australia. Now it’s FI Guy’s turn…
- Learn to scuba dive (Maybe. FI Girl’s ears!)
- Meet the Dalai Lama
- Meet up with other FI/RE friendlies
- Ride a Segway
- Ride in a gondola
- Ride in a submarine
- See a Robot show in Japan
- Sky Dive
- Both FI Guy and I did a tandem jump from 14,000 feet up while in Cairns Australia. FI Guy really wants to do this again but I think I want to keep my feet planted on the ground these day.
- Sleep on a beach
- Spend a night in a “haunted” hotel / castle
- Swim / Stand under a waterfall
- Swim on the Great Barrier Reef
- Score: FI Girl: 2, FI Guy 1
- Swim with dolphins
- Take a dip in Hot Springs
- Volunteer to help a community / cause
- Walk the Labyrinth in Chartres Cathedral (and/or Garden)
- White water raft
- Get a tattoo (Shh. Don’t tell FI Guy)
So there it is. Our official
For folks that are interested in seeing what fun, whacky adventures we add to our list and check off our list over time, you can keep an eye on our progress here: http://fiheroes.com/adventure-list/
As always, we are open to ideas and suggestions for items we can add to our list! If there is a place you visited or something you experienced that is an absolute MUST, we want to know about it.
So please comment and let us know what cool, amazing, crazy, beautiful, breathtaking things you have put on and/or crossed off your bucket list.
Let the journey begin!